Thursday, 8 October 2009

5.6 - Target Audience focus group

Before shooting my actual production work I had to collect a number of small groups of my target audience, in which my News programme will be targeted at. I had to discuss my ideas in a group to see what they thought about my ideas, and if they had any other relevant ideas that they think it would be relevant and beneficial for the students that are attending Stoke Newington School, that I could add into my news programme. However when I organised a group of students, there was a problem. After filming the discussion with the group, there was a problem with capturing the footage onto the system, not just the footage but the tape as well, which meant that I had to re-shoot my target audience focus group again.

See blog post 5.7 for further information about the problem that had occurred

http://snsmediaa2courseworkgamze.blogspot.com/2009/10/57-technical-and-logistical-problems.html

First target audience focus group feedback:

During this discussion in the group I had a balance of both students from both the lower year (Year 7-11) and the upper year students (Year 12-13 - Sixth formers). In general they all liked my ideas so far but some of them suggested that I should:

  • Have a balance between the negative and the positive side of the BSF project when I come to interviewing and talking about the BSF project in my news programme
  • Include sports such as the Football tournaments of the school such as the scores, who the school has played against etc
  • Select a particular department, such as the Art department and talk about their hard work and talent by interviewing some Art students and interview a Art teacher
  • The news programme should be broadcasted at 5pm
  • Liked my ideas especially the title of my news programme - SN16 News

Second target audience focus group feedback:

I had to re-film my target audience focus group, which meant that I had to organise groups of students again, using other students which was really difficult for me because this time it was not a balance of students from the lower and upper year students (See Blog Post 5.7- Above)
However this time there was the same problem again, half of the footages did not capture, due to the faulty tape, so I had to print screen some of the footages.

See below for images and descriptions:

This is where I am explaining to my target audience focus group, why they are taking part in this group discussion in more depth. I explanied to them, the run through about my news programme. I told them about the different shots, and the stories that is going to be covered within my news programme.

Here is where a sixthform student, and students in the lower year giving me beneficial feed backs, and as you can see I was taking down notes, of what my target audiences was saying to me



Overall during the the meeting this is the feedback that, I had recieved from my focus group
  • Have a balance between the negative and the positive side of the BSF project when I come to interviewing and talking about the BSF project in my news programme
  • Use colours should be green, yellow and purple
  • Liked the name of my news programmes - SN16 News
  • Include sports such as the Football tournaments of the school such as the scores, who the school has played against etc
  • Select a particular department, such as the Art department and talk about their hard work and talent by interviewing some Art students and interview a Art teacher
  • The news programme should be broadcasted between 5pm- 5.30pm, as this is the sort of time students get back from school
  • Should talk about the success of the GCSE and A Level Exams
  • The news stories should have a balance for the lower and the upper school students
  • They liked my news headlines, that I will be covering in my news production
However during the focus group with my target audiences, I asked my target audience some of these questions below:

(1) So far of the ideas expressed to you, what part of the news program did you like the most?
(2) Do you think the colours that have been used in Newsround is similar to the colours that I have decided to use in my SN16 News Programme?
(3) From a scale of 1-10, as my target audience how relevant where the stories to you?
(4) Do you think people your age are having a fair chance to express their views in this news programme?



This question was a multiple choice question, where each participants (Target Audience) had more than one choice. Therefore the figures are higher than the number of participants. However overall, every aspect of SN16 News was enjoyed by the chosen target audience. They all seemed to like my news programme.



As you can see both news programmes Newsround and my SN16 news programme have bright animated background to suit the target audiences. However in this question my target audience clearly agree that I have met one of the conventions of Newsround, which is having an animated background behind the anchor to imply a younger target audience.


This pie chart represents and concludes that the stories that the SN16 news programme covers was relevant to the targeted audience, and it is really obvious that I have clearly met their expectations from my target audience focus group


No comments:

Post a Comment